Fountain Pens, Glass Pens, and The Wonder of Writing from Wonderstruck

/ Tuesday, December 6, 2011 /

We have been reading the new book by Brian Selznick entitled Wonderstruck. In the book, a girl named Rose writes messages with a fountain pen. I, too, write with a fountain pen, so I took a moment to explain about fountain pens to the children.

Today we talked about glass pens. Here is an example of some handmade glass pens:


But, these are very expensive. You can buy an inexpensive fountain pen, such as the one from Pilot at Staples:




Of course, some children have mentioned the quill pens that students at Hogwart's use (from Barnes and Noble):

The point is, the children in 3SM are great writers, both in content and in form. Their cursive is beautiful, and perhaps a fountain pen would add to the joy.


4 comments:

Anonymous on: December 6, 2011 at 1:59 PM said...

I'm sad because I got sick and because I missed wondertsruck. :{ Jadyn

{ Mrs. Smith } on: December 8, 2011 at 12:25 PM said...

Yes, but I missed you, Jadyn.

Anonymous on: February 14, 2012 at 7:57 AM said...

My fountin pen has blue ink and it is green on the outside!
~Clara

Anonymous on: February 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM said...

I HAVE A FOUNTAIN PENS. ONE FOUNTAIN PEN HAS BLUE INK

About Me

My photo
I am a third grade teacher at Nancy Young Elementary School. This blog shows a glimpse of our 2012-2013 school year.
 
Copyright © 2010 Mrs. Smith's Third Grade Class, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger